Friday, December 18, 2009

Sewing Rusted Fabrics - The Fabric Rusted Through Now What???



My fabrics have rusted through now what?  Can I still use my fabrics? 
The anwser is yes you can still use your fabrics, with a little help from a quilters best friend iron on stablizer!


A small tid bit of rusted fabric that once lived in the fabric in the preceeding photo.


Heavily rusted areas that glisten, this glistening is due to the iron oxide deposits on the surface of the fibers.


A view of the area I will be working with, complete with a hole that has rusted completely through the surface.


Mistyfuse TM stabilizer, I pressed my top fabric first and then sandwiched the Mistyfuse TM between the top fabric and a piece of soft cotton fabric, as I will be using a wool batting and another backing fabric.  Needling is imporant for this piece hence the reason I chose to use the flannel. Cotton scrim is also suitable for this project.


The stabilizer and backing fabric are now adhered to the front fabric.


Here you can see the stabilzer and the backing fabric peaking through the hole of the rusted fabric, click on photo for larger detail shot.


Full view of the fabric after the backing fabric and stablilzer are put in place, I am now ready to make my quilt sandwich as usual and begin stitching.

No comments: