Friday, December 18, 2009

Stitching Rust - One Option


Stablized rusted fabric, two layers (I know hard to believe) wool quilt batting, black cotton commercial backing fabric.


The quilt to the left was orginally as thick as the quilt sandwich to the right, heavy stitching reduced the piece to a very thin piece.


Already you can see how the heavy stitching will decrease the thickness of this piece.


I'm stitching the outer areas first with a dark rust colored thread, will come back in and fill the strata layers with two other colors of rust and ocher threads and finally will begin stitching the heavily rusted area in the center.  The reason for this approach is I don't want to have to change my needle, as the heavily rusted areas will dull the needle quickly, in order to finish stitching the outer areas once the center is finished.

I will fill the hole in the center, where the fabric rusted through, with decorative hand stitches and maybe some beads. 

No comments: